Thursday, November 29, 2012

Tang Hu Lu

Tanghulu is a traditional Chinese snack that consists of candied fruits on bamboo skewers.  When I asked my driver what it was he pulled up the word "Hawthorn."  I don't think I have ever eaten  hawthorn in the states :)
 
 
 


But it was good!!  They take the seeds out, put them on the skewer then put a hard sugar coating on them.  I was told that foreigners really like them (probably because they are sweet!)  They most often use Hawthorn but apparently also use other fruit like strawberries and kiwi.  I'll have to try those!

They are sold by street vendors and by guys riding bicycles with stacks of these sticking out the back - that is where we found ours :)  Kind of had a sweet and tangy flavor, they also sometimes sprinkle them with sesame seeds or some other seed.  AND it cost a whopping 2 Yuan (about 32 cents US!)!





No comments:

Post a Comment